Thursday, September 2, 2010

Street Scenes. More Contrasts (2)

There was a line-up of three cabs at the taxi stop at Piazza del Popolo. The Arab group goes to the first car: the driver sends them to the following one, and this one in turn to the third one. And if you think that the third one took them in, think again. The third one sends them yet again to the first one in the line! Finally, they got in after some further talking and bouncing, in those layered and toe-long attires, in the sunny heat of a Roman afternoon.
Obelisc with cross at the center of Piazza del Popolo. In the back, main gates.

These stairs where I was sitting, were full of German and British youngsters and we were all watching and commenting about this scene. Although we could not hear the dialogue going on in this taxi-dancing, the scene reminded me of what had happened to me in a cafĂ© in North Beach (that’s how Little Italy is called in San Francisco, California), where I committed SIN!
There were no vegetarian or fish dishes on the menu, so I ordered the Panini that came with the most veggies, but, without the ham. The Italian middle-aged waitress, in her full commander-style, “Italiannnnn-ae” accent-ae and gesticulation (imagine her hand facing the ceiling, though pointed at me with all her fingers reunited, you know, the typical inquiring way): “But that is empty then! No! you want it EMPTY!?!?” In an effort to communicate my desire while soothing her exasperated disbelief: No, not empty: I want it with veggies only. After her heated and overly exaggerated reaction to what I believed was a simple, harmless request (and in any event, better for her, since I would be paying full price, without getting the most expensive ingredient), I decided I was better off by leaving. Being in Little Italy, I went to where I knew for sure I would not (nor would my food) be spitted for asking for exactly what I wanted: a gelateria. Yeah, I know, I swapped a healthy panini for an indulgent gelato...

No comments: