Thursday, July 29, 2010

Divine Artist (1)

Like all artists, there are no schedules.
Like all what is divine, it is there, but not always easy to access for mere humans.

- So, Maria, where are you going to live? What’s next?
- I have NOOO idea. Job will tell.
- Job?? Not love?!?
- Ahhh…. Tell me, Alberto, what made you start painting?
- I have been painting for thirty years. I liked it since school. My best marks were always in Arts. A professor told me once: you have potential; there are two ways of becoming an artist: (1) go to school; (2) travel and discover different cultures and techniques. And I took up the second path. I traveled the world for ten years: California, Hawaii, New York, Europe, Africa, india. I lived in Paris for five years, until I got tired of the cold and ten years ago I moved to South Beach.
- Why the mostly present topic of Eastern philosophies and religions, considering you are a Latin, Western, in Espanyola Way, in Miami?!
- Painters have four stages in their lives: (1) Experimenting. (2) Perfecting. (3) Making money from their art. (3) Discovering spirituality in their art. I am in the latter now. This is where one remains because there are no further stages. Many painters however never get to this last stage. I have been painting about Hinduism and Buddhism for the past seven years. Buddhism to me is not a religion, but a civilized and complete lifestyle.
- How do you get inspired? Where from?
- I paint depending on how I feel. One day I wake up and say: I will paint the seven chakras on a surf board. Before I used to paint images (like the one with the multicolor fish) with puntillismo, but I do not paint any more images or abstract, only religious. I continue using puntillismo but just as another technique. It is very relaxing, almost like meditating: you are focused and relaxed at the same time.

 Follow the black line and you will discover the image (what Alberto does no more).What he still does: Puntillism.

- Do you know if the Tibet knows about your existence?
- No, I don’t. And I do not care.
- How is a day in your life?
- They are all different! No Plans!
- Has any Buddhist/Tibetan/Hindu ever seen your art? What was their feedback? What was their reaction?
- Yes. I did an exhibit once in Miami where a Tibetan Ripoche came. He loved my art. I asked him: “What do you think that I should do (with my life)?” And the Ripoche said: “Continue painting.”

What Alberto does (lowest row: Buddhas) and what he does no more (two other paintings). The linking thread, aside from the vibrant colors: Puntillism.

- Do you feel the ‘financial crisis’ in your life, in your art?
- Yes, a bit. But if people like a piece of art (particularly if Buddhist or Hindu), they buy. Moreover, there is now a new wave: people are becoming more open to Buddhist and Hindu philosophies, people are meditating and practicing yoga much more… There is a wave and my art is up to date with that wave.
- If you were not an artist, what would you be?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny thing, of all this first interview what I liked best was his question more than all his answers ;) I do agree with him that Love should be our guide in life. And of course, his paintings... I would definitely have one of those at home, definitely.

Gypsy's Bang said...

Yeah... he's got it clear. But, i caught him on one later on (part 3)... or almost ;)
Glad you enjoyed both the verbal and the visual!