Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Where my Kilim took me

And “boxes” to me at this stage of life is Miami. So, my kilim took me to Miami to start with no further due my new life. This new start was not as fast and easy as you are reading these lines. It came after much thought, introspection, meditation, practical analysis, and listening to myself and to the circumstances, mixed with ever-surfacing grief.


Maybe for you Miami is synonym of shopping, beach fun, people watching and partying. Actually, just as I showed you a different face of New York, I am thrilled to share with you a different Miami. I am not denying that Miami offers all of the above, but thankfully there is way more to this city than that! You can tailor Miami to your own needs.

I would have my own retreat in Miami – I could not have it in India, however I had many elements to have it here. And as a friend told me: “Thankfully, you are not the type of person who needs to go to Katmandu to dive into yourself.” With this in mind and the blessing of being in such an energizing and yet relaxing place, I started my ‘retreat’ in sheer discipline.

“To live alone does not mean to reject the world and society. Living alone means living in the present moment deeply observing what is happening. If we do that, we will not be dragged into the past or swept away into thoughts about the future. If we cannot live in the present moment, even if we are alone in the deepest forest, we are not really alone. If we are fully alive in the present moment, even if we are in a crowded, urban area, we can still be said to be living alone. (…) To live alone means to live in mindfulness. It does not mean to isolate oneself from society. If we know the better way to live alone, we can be in real touch with people and society, and we will know what to do and what not to do to be of help.”
[From “OUR APPOINTMENT WITH LIFE” – Discourse on living happily in the present moment by Thich Nhat Hanh]
Sunrise on The Beach. Not the only place where the sun rises...

No comments: