Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ask, if you don’t know

Palazzo del Quirinale was one of the items pending on my list. I am certainly leaving something for ‘next time’, however this Palazzo was on my way to Fontana di Trevi, coming from the gorgeous Piazza della Republica and dazzlingly beautiful Santa Maria degli Angeli (St. Mary of the Angels). According to my map, there was still some further walking to do to get to the Palazzo. I am walking down this narrow street, where there is one massive single building, sober in style and color. No signs.

Until I walk past a door-gate (those arches that get closed with an artistic iron gate) and see what looked like some military officer in gala outfit. He was talking to another officer in some other unique outfit, in seemingly stiff position. After my experience at the “palazzo turned into private office”, I walked cautiously towards them and approached the taller guy who seemed looser. “Scuzzi, what is this building?” With the warmest, widest (and probably amused) smile and kindest turquoise eyes: Our president is here. “He works here or lives here?” Lives here, this is Palazzo del Quirinale. “Ohhhh!” (between disappointment because of the ‘insignificance’ of the place, and amusement about the situation). “Can I take a picture?” Of course!

Continuing my walk in disbelief, I was struggling: is this a palazzo? Can this building qualify as a palazzo on its own or is it because of who lives here? It seems a plain, rectangular building, with a nice single gate leading to some green, trimmed garden. Until I got to the corner, and that is when my jaw dropped, and I laughed at myself in even more amusement at the whole situation. Sure, I was right, the main entrance of the Palazzo was quite further walking away… what I had seen was just a lateral entrance. The other two sides of the Palazzo are those that are stunning in its simple beauty and elegance. The palace is on a hill, so the view from the Palazzo and from the Piazza are breathtaking. Of course, Saint Peter’s dome is in sight. I am realizing that in Rome there are two things that you most surely have in sight if you have a decent view: Saint Peter’s dome and/or Monument to Italy or Vittorio Emanuele (the massive monument in carrara marble). And I shall stop here, because pictures talk for themselves.

Palazzo's main entrance at Piazza del Quirinale.

Piazza del Quirinale.

View from Piazza del Quirinale's balconies (Saint Peter's dome).

Statues under the balconies of Piazza del Quirinale, down the stairs.

No comments: