Thursday, August 19, 2010

Italian Ways: do you understand Respect?

Scuzzi, do you understand respect? While coming upstairs out from the subway, my jaw was dropping as I was coming up, and Piazza della Reppublica was unveiling in front of my eyes. I was somehow slow that morning, maybe getting my system exposed to too much city-hiking and too much beauty. I saw a cute and huge McCafe (some McCafes here can be like many Starbucks!) at the Piazza, under the ‘galleria’ of one of the semi-circular buildings. Voila! I was so sluggish that I thought this was definitely heave-sent: I even found a table outside, under the galleria, in the shade, to enjoy my cappuccino and people-watch before continuing (or starting) my expedition.
Piazza della Reppublica and Fountain.

I was truly enjoying and savoring this simple moment, when two Italian families suddenly stood in front of me, blocking my view into the Piazza. They were two middle-aged couples with a few young kids. I thought, OK, they will leave soon, they were clearly expecting some bus to come, and I could still enjoy the view at my sides. Until one of the Mammas –a chubby compact blonde, with deep blue eyes and weather-exposed skin, who seemed to had landed there straight out of bed-, the loudest one, grabbed the chair opposite to me at my table and sat down, not even asking for permission. I must say that there were plenty of free tables (I do know the "European sitting" ways), however it seems that they liked my spot. Not only that, she sat her skinny and restless youngest daughter on the chair between me and her. Not only that, she took out from her oversized plastic bag a Panini, tore it and gave a bit to the skinny girl. Not only that, she started smoking at my table! Not only that, she was still issuing orders from her new command post, in out-loud, full voice. I could have got mad, but I was somehow amused at the whole situation; was rather watching them in disbelief. The skinny girl gave me looks every now and then, while her matron acted as if I were some of those mobile statues, who happened to be sipping coffee at their table.

The beauty of the whole environment was such, that it remained immune to any occasional rudeness and disrespect. In fact, this living contrast just made the beauty more beautiful –not that it was required at all! When I was about to take my last sip, they ran towards their bus in a noisy caravan. I smiled: at least I got the first and last sip in sheer peacefulness and exquisiteness of the place and the perfect weather, with no unrequested guests other than pigeons outside the galleria.

One of the semicircular buildings at Piazza della Reppublica. Galleria under which I had my colorfully "Italian" cappucino!

No comments: