Friday, August 6, 2010

From a weird start….

When sometimes you don’t find your North, and all you have to do is to let go.

A weird day… I was exhausted from my city-trotting of yesterday, plus my –by now hopeless- jet-lag. I started my day late and slow. Hoping that a vigorous work-out would help me get my energy there… it was cut short by a shower from deep dark puffy clouds. I decided to walk to a supermarket –which according to Google, the closest one is over 10 blocks away. I had overlooked local idiosyncrasy and Summer etiquette: 1.45pm-5pm siesta! OK, no problem- next item on the list. I took the enjoyable subway to visit Trinita dei Monti- my entrance yesterday had been forbidden due to inappropriate clothes (an ankle-long summer dress, with bare shoulders; this will be part of a separate chapter!). I did! By then the sun was killer-hot and the pleasant breeze that had being blowing in my neighborhood seemed to have taken a break.

The stairs I went up to in the heat... but i got to see Trinita dei Monti inside!

 
Because yesterday I had been monument-and-building hoping in an addictive rush, my system was begging for an easy day. My intention was to go down again to Piazza Spagna and just browse freely and at my own leisure those tiny streets full of boutiques and cafes, hosted in colorful old houses and palazzos. However, when I came out from Trinita dei Monti…what is THAT tiny street where traffic comes from? Adventure called, exacerbated by the appealing shade in which that narrow street was in. One block later, I could see at the very end of the street a tower, like a tower from a church or public building. Map out: this street has a few ‘hot-spots’ to check-out! And maybe that tower is Santa Maria Maggiore?



A sample of what I stumbled upon, on my way to the end of the road…
Fontana del Tritone                                              Palazzo Barberini


San Carlo Quattro Fontane                                                  Santa Prudenziana
(sorry, the 4 fountains not worth photographing)                                             

Piazza del Virminale
Piazza del Virminale (some official building)

Trinita dei Monti's needle in Piazza- view from uphill. Because sometimes looking back can be rewarding (with a different perspective) enjoyable.  

No comments: