Monday, May 3, 2010

Day 5 – Breezy Morning in spite of Gusty Winds

Photo 1: Incandescent Sunrise in the Blue Mountains.

Photo 1: Shades of a Sky, from Gold to Blue.

I don’t know why -although I learnt so later-, I woke up in the wee hours of the morning (wee-er than my 5am alarm!) and was restless in bed. I decided to get up, out of frustration of not being able to go back to sleep, just to see that it was just minutes before 5am!

Today, the gusts of wind were not only strong, but also literally face-breakingly freezing. To my surprise, my meditation went like a breeze… by the time the bell rang, I wasn’t sure it was marking half an hour or the end. It was the end! I am an apprentice, of course, but I was by moments mindful of my mental formations, by moments praying, by moments being grateful for each thing, by moments being grateful and happy for the upcoming days and the people in my life. And I felt my face was smiling.

After breakfast we had Dharma talk, a talk by Thay (“Thay” means Master, and this is how they call TNH) that was recorded and translated live by the sister who gave me orientation. She seems bright, but reminds me of me a few years ago, and a few months ago: by moments too stiff, too tense. The same as the older nun. So why is it that women with more responsibility get tenser? Those nuns that are heart-light and happy or smiling all the time, as if they knew something I don’t, are usually more naïve, or have less responsibilities, or are less skilled/bright. The Dharma was so brilliant and rich that I asked the sister if she had the transcript. I could be reflecting on it for a whole month on it. Pointers of the Dharma to follow…

Although we had walking meditation right after Dharma, the gusts of wind were overly strong, and I thought I would not stand them walking so slowly and with not the best winter attire (not the thick and long parkas that the nuns and monks have!). So when I listened that A. was going for a run instead (I mean, that it would not be considered inappropriate), I decided to do the same. My afternoon started beautifully with a sweet, surprise phone call right after lunch and shower.

Quote of the day:
“What is right or wrong is how happy or unhappy you feel. And feeling happy or unhappy is not determined solely by an outer, physical environment. It is a state of mind.”

[From “IF NOT NOW, WHEN?” by Tsem Tulku Rinpoche, www.kechara.com. Kechara is a non-profit Buddhist organization.]

No comments: