Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Way Back Home (1) – On Freedom and Discipline

The same man who had driven me from the Middletown bus station to the Monastery was now taking me back. The difference was that now I was internally stronger and physically more recovered (no jet lag!) than a week earlier. His ability to make conversation engaging the other person is such that he had managed to keep me awake and talking on my way to the Monastery! This young man of Italian ascendance had that type of approachable personality that makes you feel as if we were old intellectual friends- yet he carried himself in a respectful and professional manner. He is the recommended driver for visitors to the Monastery, and he also takes people to other Buddhist monasteries in the region –which there are a few. Having both of us Catholic background and close interaction with Buddhists, the ride ended up being short for our discussion. What had started as a fresh sharing of anecdotes, ended up in the philosophical playground.

- So how was it?
- An oasis! I would truly love to come back some time in the near future.
- Yes, they seem nice people (nuns and monks). Very peaceful.
- One of the things I liked the most was the personal space and personal time I could enjoy. I have been to other retreats before (though this has been my longest stay in religious premises), and I do not remember having this space, this freedom, which are actually healthy, necessary.
- How? What happened?
- First, the standard daily schedule of activities contemplates a few daily hours of personal time in a single chunk. During those hours it is entirely up to you if you want to go for siesta, read, meditate, hike, connect to your computer, sip tea in the tea room while checking out books of their lovely library, work out, do nothing….

Second, they have short recovery periods after each intense activity and again you have the freedom to use those 20-30 minutes at your please. It is incredible that what took the Western world hundreds of years to start acknowledging and respecting, after tons of scientific and field studies, in this ancient Eastern culture has been fundamental part of it all this time. I know that the Bible says: “and on the 7th day, He rested.” But, how many Westerns take that to their heart and lives? We had to wait for some corporate consultant or elite athletes’ counselor to write a best-seller stating that rest is necessary, intermittent recovery periods are fundamental for full engagement and optimal performance, and that workaholism is the only acceptable –and probably required, desirable and admired- addiction in the West! For these people (nuns & monks), there is no other way than respecting the circadian cycles of full engagement and recovery, and yes, there is no shame in taking periodical breaks. This is a way of loving, of respecting human nature and human needs.

Last and not least, they respected my request to have the last half-day for myself: respected in words, in deeds and in not letting such request affect our relationship.

- Yes, other religions are stricter. But, I believe that it is also the way these monastics are; not all Zen Buddhists are like this community. I know there is another monastery here in the area, where they have almost military regime and attitude.
- Well, I am delighted to have been blessed with this experience, very appropriate for my needs. Regardless, I believe that the more I know about different major religions, the stronger I believe that they are more similar than different in terms of core values. Of course, how those core values are interpreted and lived by its militants today, is a different story!
- How do you believe that they are similar?

Quote of the Day:
“If we do not create inner peace, outer peace is not possible.”


[From “IF NOT NOW, WHEN?” by Tsem Tulku Rinpoche, www.kechara.com. Kechara is a non-profit Buddhist organization.]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally agree. No outer peace without inner peace and I loved the quote about the island in yourself. I have kind of tried to write a poem about it almost two years ago.. I'll go see if I can find it.

Gypsy said...

The quote you mention re. the island (Day 7- the loop to bliss) is a beautiful, soothing song; the melody enhances the already unwinding lyrics. Can't wait to see your poem!