Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Way Back Home (2) – On East and West

- Christians and Buddhists? They have discipline, rituals, they read the Word and meditate on it –either silently and individually or publicly and in groups- they hold compassion and mindfulness as part of their core message and values (in Christianity it is called ‘love’ or ‘charity’, ‘trust in the Divine Providence’ (do not over- worry about the future) and ‘forgive those who trespass against you’ (do not hang on to the past)). And also in both you need to love yourself first in order to love others; in Christianity it is said that you shall love others in the same way that you love yourself. Also both talk about ‘paradise’ (like in the passage I had to read during my stay the other day).

- There’s some disconnect there, looking at the world: some people do not love themselves or they do not love others just as they love themselves!

- Yes! That’s where I believe that differences kick-in. This community (I cannot speak for all walks of Buddhism) walks the talk. Do you know that the nuns and monks do not talk to you while walking? Either they walk or the talk to you, just because it is impossible to do both things mindfully. Unless you are going on a walking meditation/counseling, where walking is kind of therapeutic in the exchange of thoughts and feelings. But, if you randomly stop them on one of the paths, even if you are walking in the same direction, they will stop, look you in the eye and listen to you. This is very powerful! This is one of the differences I perceive. How many so-called Christians/Catholics do you see and experience practicing what they say to believe in and commit to? We are all human beings and imperfect, I am not judging, I am only sharing what I experience in everyday life.
I also believe that Catholics, after the death of John Paul II were left with no true leader. JPII was not only a true leader for militants, but also a magnet for peoples of all walks of life, ethnicity and religions. And he was publicly walking his talk, no matter what. I believe that sadly, the Catholic Church today is like a multinational that was founded on strong and embraceable values, once was very well run, its founders were brilliant admirable human beings, and its descendants took it to bankruptcy in multiple levels.
Where is the Catholic version of Thich Nat Hanh? Where is the new JPII? TNH is bringing Buddhism with a different spin, so that the West can process it without much of a hangover (particularly on re-encarnation, very tactfully tackled on the margins). TNH is giving answers to real contemporary questions; he is helping real people to tackle the real challenges in the real world, with very simple yet meaningful hints. And his community is walking what they preach and what they are committed to.


Quote of the Day:
“If you believe in God, that’s fabulous; if you believe in Buddha, that’s fabulous; if you don’t believe in anything, that’s fabulous. But please believe in yourself and please believe in the happiness you can bring to the people around you. Believe in that. Wouldn’t that be lovely?”


[From “IF NOT NOW, WHEN?” by Tsem Tulku Rinpoche, www.kechara.com. Kechara is a non-profit Buddhist organization.]

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What can I say about Catholicism? I was once a convinced Catholic and did my best to do as I said. But, paradoxically enough, I found myself to be a better Catholic once I stopped being one. What I mean is, I used to be so worried about following the rules, I forgot to do as I preached; even though I did repeat time after time that the spirit is more important than regulations. I´m not sure though whether the Church should be held responsible for my mistakes. What I am positive about is this: it's a relief not to have to defend certain things anymore, like the Vatican riches in a Religion which preaches poverty. It's only the tip of the iceberg though, there are other things which are even more difficult to accept. But I'm trying to focus my attention on what I need to change in me now, one gets easily distracted when pointing the finger at others, right?

Gypsy said...

You are touching on so many points...
1. Maybe it is not that you "stopped" being Catholic but instead stopped considering or labeling yourself as one? The old saying of the 3 realities comes to my mind: (1) what others think we are; (2) what we think we are and (3) what we really are.
2. Although i believe i understand what you mean with your comment on 'responsibilities', we should not forget that we all inter-are. What we are today is not totally out of the blue or product of 1 single factor; it is 'product' of our education, our society, our ancestors, and Nature (genes).
3. Major religions are pro-no attachment, no dependence. I would not call it poverty. Humble spirit, independance of any addiction, detachment. I do not see any disconnect in your example- say that they would put up the Vatican for sale, who would buy it? Or how do you sell the paintings on the ceilings and walls? I see it as if a family had inherited this awesome property from previous generations, but it is so precious and magnificent that there is no true market for it. So the family that is alive, enjoys it. The same with other religions: would anyone buy a Buddhist temple with a gold Buddha, or a Hindu Ashram with a gold altar? Even if all religions could sell those assets, how much of the poverty problem would be fixed? And why is it religions who should do so? Why not governments too? Do we need a Casa Rosada? Does the US need a White House? And if all governments and religions sold their major assets, what then? Would that be of any help if corruption continues, if expenditures in wars and outerspace continue while we cannot beat diseases like Alzheimer or even stop an oil leak that is killing 1/3 of the Gulf of Mexico? This merits at least a whole posting on its own!
3. Re. your final comment, "If you believe in God, that’s fabulous; if you believe in Buddha, that’s fabulous; if you don’t believe in anything, that’s fabulous. But please believe in yourself and please believe in the happiness you can bring to the people around you. Believe in that." (Tsem Tulku Rinpoche)

Unknown said...

Maybe I didn't stop being something, maybe it's just the outer carcass that I shed... you may have a point there. What I'm sure of is this: I have definitely let go of rules, I don't think they are a good enough reason to do something or to stop doing it.
About point 2, it is wisely said, it's a complex issue, still... it makes me feel uncomfortable anyway.
3) I like that quote :) I'm doing my best!